Wednesday 7 October 2009

That's mine!


This poem is bound to resonate with anyone who has a toddler or works with toddlers, and it’s always made me chuckle. There have been many small tussles in the play kitchen at Eureka! as children cook their parents an imaginary lunch or tea, disagreeing over who will use that tomato or who gets that potato. Peace is usually restored as soon as another vegetable or something more interesting is found to add to the pot.

This poem really encapsulates the possessive urge that comes over many toddlers as they struggle to learn how to share and play with others. 

Eight Rules of Toddler Play

1. If I like it, it’s mine.
2. If it’s in my hand, it’s mine.
3. If I can take it from you, it’s mine.
4. If I had it a little time ago, it’s mine.
5. If it’s mine, it must never appear to be yours in any way, shape or form.
6. If I’m doing or building something, all the pieces are mine.
7. If it looks like mine, it’s mine.
8. If I think it’s mine, it’s mine.

Poem by Tracy Hogg and Melinda Blau (The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems)

Jenny
Goodall is in the Play & Learning Team at Eureka!

No comments: